Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart. --Winnie the Pooh
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
What Not to Do With a Bee
Don't eat it. Don't chew it. Don't even taste it. ...It bites back!
Poor Alfie, he already didn't feel good; then we noticed that he was acting strangely and his whole snout started to swell -- fast. It scared me that his breathing didn't seem normal, so I called the vet -- only to find that he was out until Wednesday! Ack!! We got in to see another vet and pretty soon Alfie got a shot to bring the swelling down.
Turns out he had an insect sting right inside his mouth -- pretty nasty. The weird thing is that since Alfie's been sick, we've been supervising him extra carefully outside, and no one knows exactly when he got stung -- he didn't yelp or anything like that. The first indication we had that something was wrong was him wiping his face with his paws, and rubbing his head on the furniture indoors. With his furry whiskers, we didn't see anything wrong at first. But when Charissa took a closer look, she let out a little involuntary shriek...poor dog, his nose was all swollen up on both sides and hard to the touch. By the time we got him to the vet, poor boy, he was pretty bad off! Thankfully, the shot worked quickly!
We also got something to help with the tummy issues he's been having...he's had to fast 24 hrs., and now he'll be on boiled rice and chicken for 3 days before transitioning back to normal food.