Friday, May 21, 2010

Double, Double, Toil & Trouble...

To paraphrase one of my favorite authors:  By the pricking of my thumbs, something stinky this way comes!

a large pot boiling on the stove; there are chunks of grey-brown meat bubbling amid nasty looking froth and greyish foam
Smells like a witch's brew to me...but to Petey it's heavenly.

So, to explain...I was talking to supervisor Michelle about how Petey's been basically a great dog, but then from time to time something startles him into barking.  And with his size comes a BIG SCARY BARK...not good in public!  So we're doing a lot of stuff to help him realize that the world is really okay, I've got things under control, and basically there's no need for him to worry.  But as Michelle explained, I need some extreme high-value treats in my pocket to save for those moments...something to get his attention back onto me from whatever it is he's concerned about.  To me, that means one thing:  LIVER.  At just $1/lb locally, it's much cheaper than prepared dog treats.  The drawback is that you actually have to cook the stuff yourself...bleah. 

It's pretty easy...just rinse it off, boil it, cut it into bite size pieces, and dry it out in a slow oven.  Warning to readers:  if you do this, a)Your whole house will smell like liver; and b)Your dog will love you forever (of course he does already!)

The outcome?  It seems to be working!  We went on 3 walks today and Petey got many compliments in stores on how well-behaved he was.  I'm sure it also helps that he's getting used to working with me...but the liver sure doesn't hurt anything!


Petey in working jacket, sitting alertly in the driver's seat behind the wheel of my van...NOT where he's supposed to be obviously!
No, Petey, driving the car will not earn you extra liver...

4 comments:

L^2 said...

Glad the liver is helping Petey. Willow loves it too, but I never make it because... ewwww!

Lisa and pups said...

So glad the liver treats are helping Petey and he's getting lots of praise for being such a great job. I'll skip the liver treats - because of the smell. Reminds me of my third grade teacher and that is SCARY enough!

Infrequent Flyers said...

Now all you need is some onions to make your house even more pungent! You are a great dog mama, willing to make liver yourself. I like to be thrifty, but I don't think I could bring myself to make liver.

Beth and Alfie said...

LE&H -- I can't help but wonder about that third grade teacher...did she just teach Shakespeare, or actually smell like liver?? I'm getting scared too...

L^2 & Mimi -- Please oh please don't tell Alfie that I did this or he will expect some when he gets back. I only cook liver when desperate! ;-)