Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Worry, He's Fine

Alfie's always been a cheerful, optimistic puppyality. 

Half empty or half full...well, let me at it and that glass will be spilled on the floor so who cares?!

So when Alfie got sick last week he didn't let it bother him much.  I mean sure, he was waking up vomiting and worse, but in his view, hey!  It meant a trip to the vet!  I always hear about dogs who hate the vet's office, but Alfie loves it.  We just pull into the driveway and he starts getting excited.  Everywhere we go, people admire Alfie...but the vet's office is the only place where I really let them (the vet and all the staff) love on him and hug him and tell him what a handsome little devil he is.  It totally goes to his head! 

So anyway, we arrive for our appointment, weigh in, and trot back to the exam room...when Alfie surprises me by making a concerted, repeated effort to jump on the exam table!  You have to understand, he knows better than to get on any furniture, and really doesn't try to anywhere else.  All I can think is, he remembers getting up on the exam table for shots last time...and getting loved on...and getting giant yummy treats!  What a memory. 

Turns out he needed a round of antibiotics...followed by a round of probiotics.  Sounds like we can't decide what we want to do with those biotics, doesn't it?  Turns out we're just going to try to get rid of the nasty bacteria, then repopulate his doggy insides with the good kind.  But again, Alfie doesn't really care about the whys and wherefores because all it means to him is...he gets to take pills!  My sneaky trick is to encase them in a little wad of cheese and, voilà, a gourmet dog treat!  I was out of cheddar but found that a smidgen of neufchatel does the trick just as well.  Alfie, who had had to skip a meal before his appointment (unprecedented torture!) could hardly believe his luck.  He'll be sad when he runs out of pills I'm afraid!

The only bad part, for him, has been that due to his rather nasty symptoms he wasn't able to go on any walks for a few days.  He gave me dirty looks from his crate every time I left him at home!  Today when I could tell all systems were normal again, off we went for a walk and Alfie was back on cloud nine.


But I DO love those cheese balls...

11 comments:

Katrin said...

hehe James jumps on the exam table at the vets too. We walk in the room and hop, he's up there waiting for Dr B to come in. The techs all laugh as I guess he's like one of the only dogs they see that puts himself on the exam table. Most have to be lifted up there.

Glad to hear that Alfie is feeling better.

Becky Andrews said...

Oh Alfie glad you are feeling better. Cricket jumps off the table. May have to try the cheese for Missy's meds.

The Airechicks said...

Glad he's feeling better - we use cheese and sometimes Blueberries for Tris' meds.

Have to change it up she gets smart to our tricks to get her to take it...

XXxoooXXooo

bellaboo said...

Alfie is a real cutey...glad he's better.Bella has a playmate called Murray,who's the spitting image of your Alfie!
Thanks for dropping by.

Bellaboo :0)

3 doxies said...

Daaaang you are just so very handsome. I hates da vet prolly cuz I haves had to be sedated so many times but my brudder Albert don't mind.
Puddles

L^2 said...

Glad Alfie is feeling better! I'm sure it's much easier on everyone involved when you have a dog that likes the vet.

Stella used to get up on the exam table by herself (or at least try to) when she was a pup too. But then she started having lots of exams for ear infections due to her allergies and she quickly realized that on that table was where the not-so-fun stuff happened.
Willow has never been a big fan of the vet either, but she was that way when I got her. So, I can't say for sure what caused it.

Dexter said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Glad your sickies are over. Maybe you can get some cheese in a can.

Slobbers,
Mango

Infrequent Flyers said...

I'm sorry that Alfie was sick--but Cabana would agree, there's not much more fun than taking pills! We did peanut butter last time, but I think I'll try your cheese trick next time.

Ruby's Raiser said...

Aw, sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but so glad you're better now. And who says the little cheese balls have to stop just because the pills are gone!

Erin said...

Pompei also loves the vet!! I mean who doesn't love a place where everyone dotes on you??

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Toby hated the vet - I think it was because he "visited" it to much!

Alfie's lucky to like it!