Sunday, December 27, 2009

Butterfinger Retriever

We had a very merry Christmas!  I'll admit that we were so busy having fun that we took virtually no photos.  Alfie spent his time rushing around getting into things...fortunately my wonderful family, who were visiting for Christmas, are dog-loving people and were pretty understanding about the realities of puppyhood. 

Now that everyone's gone back home, I'm trying to get Alfie back into his routine as I go about my post-Christmas cleanup chores.  Alfie, having a strong fetching instinct, considers that his part in this endeavor is to locate and retrieve every stray item.  Imagine my surprise when he turned up with this!

Look, I didn't even tear the wrapper!

Well, to be honest, he didn't bring it straight to me.  I noticed him prancing around with something yellow and inquired if he'd be interested in coming and trading for a kibble.  The kibble won out right away, of course.  I was  COMPLETELY APPALLED when I discovered what it was because, as I'm sure you know, chocolate is toxic to dogs.  On the other hand...the chocolate lover in me couldn't help but wonder...have I discovered a new use for this dog?  Imagine the possibilities...a dog who can seek out and retrieve chocolate...WOW. 

Okay, back to reality!  We've checked around and to the best of my knowledge there aren't any more dangerous candies lying about for him to get into (if we only knew the truth, the first one may not have been lying around either...I wouldn't put it past him at all to "fetch" it off the furniture!)  

Here's hoping you all had a very merry Christmas...WITHOUT any Butterfinger Retrievers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh oh! Glad you caught it before he scarfed it down!

Beth and Alfie said...

Yes, it was a SCARY moment!! Puppies need our CONSTANT supervision don't they...

puppyluver said...

such a god boy!! he tries so hard. i can name 17 other puppies who would have ate it long before you could have got it from him ;)

Ms. ~K said...

I can't believe he didn't eat it...Alfie is beautiful and smart!
~K

Sierra Rose said...

Nice work Alfie! Mom thinks I might have snaggled that candy...probably the wrapper mostly. But, good save by your hoomans! Stay out of chocolate trouble, ok pal!?

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Clive said...

Alfie

We're very impressed you didn't open the bar! Well done on that!

Hope you had a lovely Christmas and best wishes for a very Happy New Year.

We look forward to hearing all about your adventures in 2010.

Clive, Murray and all the gang