Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Dog Didn't Go Off

Alfie on his back asleep in his crate, hind legs splayed out, ear hanging out of one corner
Zzzz...

In my days teaching in private and public schools, I've heard many excuses for tardiness.  Of course the old classic is, "My alarm didn't go off."  Not much of an excuse if you ask me...especially because I've found a pretty strong correlation between its not going off and its never getting set in the first place!

But this morning I was the one who overslept...by about two hours, shame on me!  I'd quit setting my alarm because Alfie always woke me between 6:30 and 7:00.  He is also the first puppy I've had who wakes me up by growling!  Not a mean or angry growl, it's more of a play growl that goes up at the end, as if he's asking why I'm still asleep.  Grrr?...wag, wag...grrr?...smile, pant...until I give in and roll out of bed.  As soon as I let him out he cuddles up in my  lap and tries to make up for waking me by snuggling and licking me in that wonderful puppy way.

I must've been tired because when I awoke to the sounds of conversation in the dining room I thought fuzzily, "Wow -- the kids are sure up early!"  But then I checked the clock and oops, it was I who was up late.  My first irrational, half-asleep thought when I saw Alfie still snoozing in his crate:  Oh no, he must've died!  On further inspection, he was quite well -- thank goodness.  I leaned over his crate and growled -- just to get back at him!

Next, I think I'll teach her to "speak."

Wow, I guess he's growing up!  I'll be setting my alarm clock again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Erin said...

LOLOLOL!! I'd kind of hoped Pompei would be an alarm but the silly dog doesn't move a muscle until I am out of bed

L^2 said...

LOL Like Erin's, my dogs don't make a sound until they hear me get out of bed.

Natalie said...

Haha... thought he died.. I mean it's really not funny but it is at the same time ;) lol.

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

How cute!
SEGDI doesn't allow their puppies to bark, but Toby would love to be an alarm!
He HATES it when I sleep in:)